Thursday, September 9, 2010

Unity in Heart

Philippians is a letter that Paul wrote in the New Testament while he was in prison. Paul writes to the church of Philippi and in the letter encourages the Philippians to have unity with love. He wants them to keep growing as one by loving and caring for each other. Even in prison he is still content that his brothers and sisters are rejoicing in unity under God. Pauls passion and life was "to know God," and he found that living in unity is how we can grow closer to God.

(NLT) Philippians 2:2 - "Then make me truly happy by agreeing wholeheartedly with each other, loving one another, and working together with one heart and purpose."

Unity means the state of being united into one. As Christians we need to live as one. Living for God means having the same purpose, to strive to be like Christ. Christians are all fighting the same battle against the flesh and against the same enemy. There are always people out there who feel alone, and they need Christians to be there for them, to be God's light.

Has there ever been a time when you just needed someone to be there for you in person and just listen or tell you something good? As Christians we need to be the light for every person we come across. How do we be the light? Tell me how you have been the light. How can we apply this verse to our lives? Sometimes it's so obvious as to how we can apply this verse that people forget that we aren't alone. Unfortunately, I see people not being a light and just focusing on their own lives, forgetting to be there for their brothers and sisters. Don't forget we are all brothers and sisters under God and loving each other is the best way to come together in unity.

If you want more on Unity and the Heart keep reading Philippians 2:1-11


- Alex

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9.9.10

    God is so amazing. I love when He answers prayers. My father has been depressed lately, and my relationship with him is not a very healthy one, so I have practically been snubbing him and arrogantly strolling about the house as if I know everything and he should be more like me. Tonight, I finally got slapped in the face by my stupidity and realized that I need to do something to help him, but I didn't know what that could be. So, I prayed. I asked Jesus to tell me what He would do. Then, because I am a typical teenager, I checked my Facebook and saw that there was a new post on the Reformation Devo. "Therefore if there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy, fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind(NKJV Philippians 2:1-2)." Problem solved, and lesson learned. :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10.9.10

    That is awesome for the person who commented above me. Really God is amazing and works in wonderful mysterious ways. God has really just been telling me to keep up an equal love for everyone around me. It's so often that you see people judge each other by their actions. I mean you see people project happiness on others more than other people, when we should keep and open equal heart to all the people God puts in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10.9.10

    I've been trying really hard lately to not hate people. I know that kinda sounds bad to use the word hate. I, for sometimes no reason at all, just didn't like people. I'm really not sure why. But I have been working on loving everyone around me and becoming friends with them. It makes everything so much better when you just love people. I have noticed a change in the way people treat me because I'm treating them different.

    Also, I have been there for people more. Not just my close nit of friends but people outside of my usual group. People that I didn't really ever talk to. And because I listen to what they have to say and try and help, I could possibly change their live. Not in a big drastic way but little things.

    Anddd... I have a few people in my life that I need to be there for me like all the time. If I didn't have them, I really don't know what I would do. They are there to pick me up when I fall and to comfort me when I am feeling down. They always make me feel better and I think everyone needs that in their life whether they want to admit it or not.

    I think this devo is really great because we all need to love more and we all need to be there for each other, not just sometimes, but all the time. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10.9.10

    Wow that is so awesome for the above comment that you feel so much better when you love people. That is really going to happen when you do love people though...... people are going to love you back. Thats what its all about, being there for people to love them, and listen to them, and just be there for them. Love is what we need more of in this world, nicely put my friend.

    ReplyDelete