Friday, September 17, 2010

Honoring One Another

The book of James is written by James to show a lot about how Christians ought to live. It was written to encourage Christians to be vibrant in their faith through concrete action, honoring one another with the right motives. James calls us to be authentic Christians by honoring one another, by loving everyone we come across equally.

(NLT) James 2:2-4 - "For instance, suppose someone comes into your meeting* dressed in fancy clothes and expensive jewelry, and another comes in who is poor and dressed in shabby clothes. If you give special attention and a good seat to the rich person, but you say to the poor one, "You can stand over there, or else sit on the floor"- well, doesn't this discrimination show that you are guided by wrong motives?"

Unfortunately so many people show their love more for some people rather showing equal love for everyone. People tend to judge each other by their actions, thinking you can only judge by words. This is dishonoring. Has there ever been a time where you just felt a friend was more loving towards other people? We should be an example by striving to be more honorable than our friends. Has there ever been a time in your life where you just felt out of place and unloved because people just didn't act the same around you as they do with their other friends? Now, has there ever been a time where you acted more excited to see someone and less excited to see someone else within the same day?

(NLT) Romans 12:10 - "Love each other with genuine affection,* and take delight in honoring each other."



- Alex

5 comments:

  1. fonzi17.9.10

    This is so good and so true, and I still find myself doing this. God has been changing my heart to see people how he's made them. even in matthew 7 Jesus talks about how we will be judged to the extent that we judge others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous17.9.10

    I definitely relate to this allot. i feel out of place all the time.and allot of the time i feel that certain friends don't love you as much as they love other people.
    and for that i only have few best friends.
    i know that sometimes i do the exact same
    thing.
    though sometimes i do it unintentionally,i do catch myself doing it allot.
    i defiantly need to stop myself and really love everyone equally.

    -Dani

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch. x.x
    I do this too much probably...
    I'm very picky about who I like and who I want to be my friends. I only have a few people who I really consider close friends.
    There are just certain types of people that bother me... I know that they're good people, we just have personality clashes.
    I still try to be nice and how love and all that, though I'm not sure how well it works out. Especially if I've had a bad day. =/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous21.9.10

    i sometimes feel left out even around some of my very best friends. the people i am closest to. it might be because there is a difference in age and the place we are at in life but i should feel that way. it might also be my fault. im not sure. but i have been better at not feeling left out. it comes and goes sometimes.

    i think i sometimes favor some people over others but, along with what last weeks devo said, i am trying harder to love everyone around me. i think i am doing a good job so far. its not always easy to love everyone and not judge people but in the end we all know its the right thing to do.

    its ok to have "best friends" you just have to be careful not to leave others out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joshua Michael22.9.10

    I've always been picky about when a certain person is around me, it is pretty hard to let that go when the person 'cramps your style' But, I just gotta let that person be himself, since I know I do goofy stuff too! Be love, but if there's a certain person that doesn't love back, never stop loving, don't get in the person's face: JESUS LOVES YOU! *as you remove knife from back* Just show love, love is patient, love is kind...not just saying 'I love you' (saying it is good too, if you mean it ; )

    ReplyDelete